The Historical Institute of the Order of Preachers (Institutum Historicum Ordinis Praedicatorum) is a research institute of the Order of Preachers under the jurisdiction of the Master of the Order. Its mission is
- to research the history of the Order,
- to present the results of its research in scientific publications, lectures, conferences, and colloquia,
- to collaborate with Dominican and non-Dominican scholars who study the history of the Order,
- and to promote the formation of young Dominican historians.
The Institute aims to promote collaboration between the Institute and the Archivist of the Order, the Postulator General of Causes of Beatification and Canonization, and the University of St. Thomas Aquinas (PUST) in particular, as well as between the Institute and other scientific and academic institutions.
Members of the Institute, professionally trained historians who devote themselves to the history of the Order, are appointed by the Master of the Order.
The President of the Institute, a friar of the Order appointed for six years by the Master of the Order, is in charge of coordinating the work of the Institute and possesses the authority to represent the Institute in the conduct of its affairs.
In his management of the Institute, the President is assisted by the Council, which consists of:
- The President of the Institute, who serves as chair of the Council;
- The Administrator of the Institute;
- The Archivist of the Order;
- Two to four Members of the Institute who are friars of the Order.
The Institute is a member of the Unione Internazionale degli Istituti di Archeologia Storia e Storia dell’Arte in Roma.
Pontificia Università S. Tommaso d’Aquino
Dominikański Instytut Historyczny w Krakowie